Saturday, March 1, 2014

Change

Change goan come
If you don't remember this, you missed something amazing and transformational.  Not to put you down if you weren't there or don't recall the emergence of a new social consciousness in R&B of that time, but just a chance to say I am so glad this happened in my life time.  I have trouble imagining a future where Justin Bieber's catalog could stand up to the likes of Sam Cook, Curtis Mayfield, or Marvin Gaye. (what's goin on, yo?)

But this post wasn't intended to be a tribute to a time in my past.  I sat down here at the dope scope to inform you all that a plan is hatched!  Next week I'll take the four chicks to the vet's office for our well baby check up, sports physical, or whatever you want to call it. The thinking is that if these chicks are accompanied by a 'cetificate of OKness' from a real vetrinarian it might make potential adopters a little more comfortable in the notion that they are not getting puppy mill chicks. At least that is my hope, plus I am curious to get the Vet's feedback on our little accidental family rearing project. 

While there I'll leave a flyer (invited to by the clinic manager!!) announcing the availability of some particularly 'special' parakeet chicks.  The vet shop add was a great suggestion from my friends at Budgarigar Forum.  That flyer will also announce that all proceeds will be donated to For Heaven's Sake wildlife rescue and rehabiltation center.  This was a suggestion from my friend Emily in Boston. 

Interesting that For Heaven's Sake is just up the road from us and I drive past twice a day to and from work.  They were recommended as a worthy recipient for this effort by the vet clinic manager. 

In this way we hope to hit a slightly modified triple bottom line:  helping a good but needy social enterprise, doing good locally, and most important getting the chicks into the homes of people who will provide the best setting possible.  I'm no bleeding heart, but I am liberal and I know that for organizations such as For Heaven's Sake, making ends meet is a constant struggle; occasionally I work with SE's as part of my job. 

for the flyer, what Pics do you think would be most compelling:

baby pics?
 
 
juvenile pics?
 
or adolescent pics?
(I would put up a poll on this but, ... 3 responses from you slackers on the last one? ... doesn't seem to be your cup of tea.)
 
 
And just to close the loop (good authors often end with a 'hook' which brings the reader back to the start of the story) let's have Curtis Mayfield take us out with a funky, modern day spiritual from the golden age of R&B shall we?  People Get Ready ...

4 comments:

  1. my vote for adolescent

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to say exactly the opposite of the first vote, and say maybe baby pictures next to adult pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. juvenile pics as those are the best "curb appeal"

    ReplyDelete