Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Young Adults

 When you were old enough to leave home, did you?  It was easier to go off into the world for my generation; you could find a job that would support you, and you could find a place to live which you could afford on your modest wages.   These days it is much harder to ‘launch’.
L to R:  #4, #1, #2, #3 (I think)

Our little birds are almost there.  Early this morning I took the sleepy little birds from their cage and put them in the “weigh in” bowl (the bottom half of our salad spinner) and weighed each of them.  they’ve spent the last couple days feeding themselves without any help from their parents or us and they are holding their weight and seem to be thriving in the cage.  They are still a little goofy at getting around.  They need to perfect their roosting procedures, I have had to ‘reposition’ #3 and #4 on a couple of occasions at bed time I found them roosting on the rim of the water dish, their little butts and tails dragging in the water.  Then there are the occasional crash landings and “oops I'm upside down on the perch” scenarios but I am confident they will overcome these minor difficulties with time.  As Will Rogers once famously said “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that come from bad judgment”.

#1 is six weeks and three days old today.  # 4 is one week younger, #2, and #3 are of course, in between.  The books say that it’s best to keep them with the parents until they are about 8 weeks old, or a couple weeks after they are weaned, that they will learn a lot about how to eat and care for themselves from the adults.  We had them in with the adults a couple times in the last two weeks and I was not real impressed with the ‘learning’ that was going on.  The lessons all seemed a little harsh, and it appears that they are gaining plenty of ‘social skills’ living with their siblings. Admittedly I am a rookie at this and I am not around them all day every day, but I like what I see and I have trouble imagining how our preparations might come up short for them in the next stages of their lives. 
Given that, there does not seem to be a lot of reason not to gin up that funny, charming, attractive add to go in Crag’s list and up on the notice boards at the pet stores, post offices, and supermarkets announcing the availability of four cute little green birds, dripping with character looking for new homes.  We'll keep the lid on this for another week and a half, and for #1's 8 week birthday celebration, we will put up the notices. 
 
I don’t want get all gushy, but the truth is these little tweets have grown on us both.  In some ways I am glad it only takes about eight weeks to go from egg to bird.  If it was six months I would probably have a lot more trouble turning loose of them.

In the meantime, we will watch them mature, and make further attempts at taming them.  They should be prime catches by the middle of the month.

I’m thinking of writing a brief bio to send with each of the birds to their new homes.  The folks who get these little birds need to have some sort of provenance, to know their 'background'.  It seems all the more important when I consider how little we know about Billy Holidays’ 'roots'.  

I am sure it will be a little hard so see them go, but we will do the best we can to place them in homes with as much or more love as they get here.
Chick #1

No comments:

Post a Comment