Friday, February 22, 2013

Type Two Fun


A term coined (I think) by rando riding chums in Oeregon. Hard to define but a few examples should make it easily understandable. 
 
Earlier this week, NWS was calling for showers (20% chance) this weekend.  Here in SW Washington, in late February, this is a pretty favorable forecast.  This morning things have taken a turn for the worse: Talks of a strong winter storm sweeping in off the North Pacific today, bringing winds of 20 miles per hour (gusts to 40!).  The revised forecast for Saturday is 40% chance of showers, high near 46° west wind 13 to 16mph.   I will be riding out to Cosmopolis (WEST) and back.  Sunday: 50% chance of RAIN (note; rain and showers are two distinct phenomena) high near 48°, south wind 7-11mph.  I plan to ride south to Mary’s Corner on Sunday.  These two rides might well fit the definition of Type Two Fun.

And here is something that might give you hope:

I was flipping through the channels on President’s day, restlessly contemplating the end of my ‘three day pass’ from work, when I happened to come across something that stopped me in my tracks.  I don’t often sing the praises of the boob tube, but I probably would have completely missed this with out the Tee Vee.  I am so glad I did not. 

Over 50 years ago a 12 year old boy watched a young president take the oath of office and then make his first, and last inaugural speech.  I remember that one famous line, “Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country.” 
There are few speeches whose fragments are remembered for over 50 years:  Four score and seven years ago”, “A day that will live in infamy”. If none of these rings a bell, brush up; “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment