Friday, December 5, 2008

An Eerie Feeling

We “Decked the Halls” at Rocky Acres last weekend. It was eerie being up on the roof hanging the strings of dangly icicle lights. We went into Centralia and got a tree at the Big Orange Hardware store, just like last year. There was plenty to do, so we were busy enough that we didn’t have a lot of time to talk about the mix of emotions we were both feeling. Last Christmas was to be our first Christmas in our new house, but of course it didn’t quite work out the way it was supposed to.

Getting out the boxes of Christmas decorations, lights, the plastic glowing Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus brought it all home: Lots of the extension cords, light strings, and decorations were crusted with dried on flood mud. That beige patina that means so much to me, reminds me of a seminal event on my life, had to be scrubbed away before things could be put back in use. (J M&J cleaned up pretty well I might add, enlarge the pic and you can see they look clean enough for a visit from the relatives)







That goofy looking snowman is back up on the front door. He hung on the old front door for a long time after the flood; Long enough that you would have thought he would have melted or gotten trampled into the mud as workmen and we trooped in and out, pulling the house apart and then putting it back together.















Tuesday night we were out front finishing things up and sort of admiring our handy work. The neighbors were out front too, they had lights and garlands up. We talked about how much has changed and then too how much is still the same.










The memories of last year are a little disturbing, I don’t want to say frightening but you know, bad memories just have an effect you’d rather not re-experience. But the fact that we are back on our feet, back in our little house, once again decorating it with that kitschy Christmas get up is something we are both really thankful for. I think

I have a little more joy in me for this season then I would otherwise. I wouldn’t advise preceding your Christmas season with a disaster as a formula for developing a little more appreciation, a little more empathy. But if you happen to step in that hole, I hope you come out of it as well as we have: We will get to keep our house, it’s just going to cost a little more.

Looking back at back at my blog posts of a year ago, coupled with the weekend activities gives me a little shiver up my spine. I don’t think we’ll have this problem again but still I didn’t think we would have the problem in the first place.



I’ve got some pics that I will post in a couple days (a good blog post ALWAYS includes pictures). I can’t post them now because I’m up in the Northeast corner of the State in a little motel. A year ago we were holed up in a motel in Olympia figuring out what we were going to do with our soppy little house. (flowering Kale, who couldn't like alittle color in the dormant season?)

No comments:

Post a Comment