Thursday, May 8, 2008

Pay It Forward

Remember last winter when I was in a little trouble and then people started coming out of the woodwork to help Sheila, Sparky, and I? The power of the forces of nature that flooded our house were nothing when compared to the forces of friendship and caring. I remember that better than I remember the soppy house. Well, as it happens there is someone else who is in need right now.

If you are a bike geek/blog gawker, chances are good that you have at least heard of Fatcyclist.com. Elden Nelson started blogging a few years ago as a way to motivate himself to get back into shape. You can read the story here: http://www.fatcyclist.com/about-fatty/ . Along the way he developed a considerable following. This is as it should be. He has a very nice looking blog, he’s a great writer and at times he’s outrageously funny. His ‘Fat Cyclist Fake News Service’ reports are great. In fact, he won the category of Best Sports Blog in the 2008 Bloggies: http://2008.bloggies.com/s.com/ Seriously! There is such a thing, and he actually won it! A big deal in the world of blogging. You know he's one of my favorites because he's listed in the column just to the right of this as one of the "Other Great Bottom Feeders".

Since that time his wife developed breast cancer and has fought the disease bravely for the last four years. Her condition has recently taken a dramatic turn for the worse and now Elden, Susan, and their 4 kids could use a little help.


Eldens friend Kenny has set up bank account where you can make a donation to help them through this very trying time (see Kenny’s note below). This may sound like a Nigerian Prince scam , I wish it were but I know this to be the real deal; a situation where caring people can do something to help another in need.

Because you helped us when we were in need, I have no problem at all donating to this cause. Your support in our time of need makes this very easy for me to do. I’m not pushing you to donate, just want to make you aware that:
1. Your good works are being paid forward and,
2. I wanted to let you know of a worthy cause in case you were not aware.

Hope you are well and if you are, take a little time out to express you thanks. Gentlemen; give you wife (or SO) a hug. Ladies; give the kid(s) a little positive feedback. Kids; pet the cat.


Kenny’s Note:

Dear Readers of Fatcyclist.com,
This last week has been truly tragic learning of the down turn of Suzan’s illness. As I read these comments left by all you good people, the over all theme is the same. “What can we do for Elden, Susan and their kids?” I decided it was time to stop wondering and time to start doing. I set up a bank account in Elden’s name at a local bank here in Utah. It is linked to pay pal. The pay pal account is
winsusannelson@gmail.com . If you don’t have a pay pal account you can also donate by going to my business’s website http://www.kennysphoto.com and clicking on the link in the middle of the page, where you can donate with the credit card of your choice. Please know that all funds collected will go directly to this bank account and after a two month period will be given to Elden, Susan and Family. Elden is unaware of this account, until now, of course. I’m not sure how he will react to this comment, but if he removes it, I’m going to continue to put it back on his blog and I invite you as fatcyclist readers to also put this on your own respective blogs. I truly believe that we bless our own lives, when we help others, so I hope that Elden will allow us to help him through this very trying time in his life. He truly has touched each one of us, through his writing and his friendship.

Respectfully yours,

Kenny

No comments:

Post a Comment