Thursday, February 7, 2008

Escape From Reality

Well, I called the LBS about my bike yesterday and it turns out my Schmidt hub (rebuilt just before PBP) did not survive the flood. The thing has been a faithful friend through good times and bad but it just was not up to the 12 hour ‘Chehalis River spa treatment’. It should be coming home from Peter White’s any day now. So, if I can’t rub up against my very own custom made bike, (that's it in the banner photo above) how about a little 12 hour escape from the cares of the day? Saturday Sheila and I will head to Portland and take in the North American Handmade Bike Show, a real droolfest for bike geeks.

This event has only been around since 2005. I recall reading the reviews after the first show in houston and thought it would an awfully fun thing to experience. It’s always been a little too far away for me to justify attending, but now that it is right in our backyard, I can hardly justify not attending.

Custom made bikes are experiencing a real renaissance. Some folks think this has to do with the reemergence of the bicycle as a healthy, evironmentally friendly, practical appraoch to engaging the world. I think it has more to do with the fact that the Boomer generation is on a path that transects the lines of leisure time, disposable income, and appreciation for handmade, one of a kind status posessions. I mean really, an environmentally friendly, health enhancing tool to get around on can be had for a fraction of the price at any big box store or franchise bike shop.

It will be therapeutic: A great and not very expensive diversion from the whole house business and this troublesome cold that has been deviling me. I woke up this morning feeling worse not better: Infections in both ears, just like when I was 7 years old. What a pain (literally and otherwise!) I feel like some someone overinflated my head by about 20 psi, and of course now every time I cough, well ... in hurts in a new way.
Hope I’m better by Saturday, shoot hope I'm all better tomorrow for that matter.

See you at the bike show!

No comments:

Post a Comment