Saturday, November 3, 2007

Count your Blessings

So, How is you Fall going? Putting on a little weight? Not getting into the gym as much as you promised yourself you would? SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) getting to you a little more that you thought it would? That hangnail bothering you, a tiff with your boss at work?

I know; my life is filled with mega-crisis too. Every now and then though you come across something that helps put your problems in perspective.

Friend Peter McKay, a fellow SIR member, had a situation develop which illustrates once again the yin and yang that surrounds us; The sinuous yet tenuous nature of life often causes me to make some sort of (usually ill conceived) immediate reaction. It’s the McCubbin in me, the Scotch/Irish approach to problem solving; If at first things don’t work out just right, get really mad and let your emotions drive your decision making. Fortunately I often become more philosophical upon reflection.

Read Peters blog post here http://petermckay.blogspot.com/ and take some time to reflect on his thoughtful response to a development that he had no way of anticipating or controlling.

I have always said that you can’t control events; you can only control how you react to them. In this instance Peter has ‘lived’ this philosophy in his reaction to this event. Me; I need to work on putting words into action. (…but I have to say, I really would like to have a ‘private conversation’ with whomever did this to Peter, maybe just for 5 minutes or so).

Heal well and fast Peter, the world needs you out on the road, leading by example.

1 comment:

  1. Robert Higdon11/7/07, 11:01 AM

    Wow. I had heard about this incident from a coworker and didn't realize it was Peter. Sometimes life shakes you down and gets your lunch money. I am just glad to see that he has such a good head on his shoulders.

    ReplyDelete